Amazing Brain Facts
1.Brain imaging studies show that human feelings originate inside the brain.
2. The human brain structure is almost fully developed by age 11, though some higher self-management brain functions continue to develop into the mid 20’s.
3. The diameter of an individual brain neuron is 4 microns, meaning 30,000 could fit on the head of a pin.
4. The human brain has 100 billion neurons, making it the most powerful learning tool in the world.
5. Each single brain neuron has from 1,000 to 10,000 connections with other neurons, making up to 10 trillion neuron connections possible.
6. Alcohol interferes with brain processes by weakening connections between neurons.
7. The same part of the brain interprets both your physical and emotional pain.
8. Stress over long periods can weaken the brain’s ability to learn and remember.
9. A dog’s brain is 19 times smaller than a human adult brain; an elephant’s brain 4 to 5 times bigger than ours.
10. An adult bottle-nosed dolphin’s brain is about the size of a
human adult’s brain.
11. The average adult’s brain weighs 3 to 4 lbs. but consumes 20% of the body’s supply of oxygen.
12. Loss of oxygen for even 5 to 10 minutes can cause serious brain damage.
13. Our brain requires 20% of the entire body’s blood flow.
14. The human brain contains 400 miles of blood vessels.
15. Brain imaging functional MRI equipment measures blood flow and provides a picture of brain activity during actual emotional experiences.
16. There is no sense of pain within the brain itself. This allows neurosurgeons to probe areas of the brain while the patient is awake.
17. A living brain is so soft you could cut it with a butter knife.
18. Brain messages travel between neurons in just one thousandth of a second.
19. Each time you have a new thought or memory, a new brain connection is made between two or more brain cells.
20. Your brain generates up to 25 watts of power while you're awake---enough to illuminate a light bulb.